5 Great TV Shows to Binge Watch on Netflix | Winter 2016

28 June 2016

Pictures are not my own (well, obviously haha)!


It's June, and officially Winter here in Australia. I've just finished my final assignments and exams for the uni semester, and schools are also coming (or already have, I'm not quite sure anymore!) to an end for the winter holidays.

With all this free time after a long semester of eat. sleep. study. repeat. it's no surprise I'm ready to sit down and indulge myself in some binge-watching of TV shows on Netflix while complaining about how 'it's too cold' (only to wish it was this cold again come summer).

To help you out with your Netflix playlist over the holidays, I've put together a list of my top 5 great TV shows to binge watch. If you like a bit of sci-fi, fantasy, action and drama like I do, then you're bound to enjoy these!

1. Doctor Who: To all the whovians out there - don't go crazy, but until a couple of weeks ago, I had never watched Doctor Who before! Okay, actually there was one time mum was switching the channels on TV a few years ago and left the end of an episode on because a movie was coming on next, so I saw a bit of the 10th Doctor, Rose and Dalek action but I had no idea what it was all about and never saw it again - until recently!

This show is seriously good, and seriously addictive. The truth is, I've always been a bit of a sci-fi nerd (read - a lot, Harry Potter was and still is my favourite thing ever). But for some reason, I never bought into the hype about this show, which I feel totally stupid for now but hey, it just means there's 8 seasons of it (well, on Netflix, apparently there's actually 9 but Netflix is a bit slow) for me to binge watch and I've accepted that challenge! I'd definitely recommend checking this show out, or if you've already seen it all, you'll know it's the perfect show to watch again these holidays!


Watch this if you like... Harry Potter, Sherlock Holmes, The Avengers, basically anything sci-fi and mystery related!


2. Torchwood: A spin-off of Doctor Who, after the second season I began watching this show as per the timeline of events that brought Jack to Torchwood Three. I love this show almost as much as Doctor Who, and I like that it's got a bit of a different feel. It's a bit more 'mature' than Doctor Who and is best suited to a young adult and older audience, for example the content is a bit darker, there seems to be more anti-Alien death, and of course (as you'll notice in the very first episode), there is a fair bit of sex featured which is something Doctor Who does not entertain. It feels like you're watching the 'Buffy' of the Doctor Who world, and with interesting storylines and some great acting, is perfect to binge watch this winter!

Watch this if you like... Doctor Who (It's a spin-off of Doctor Who so this one's kind of obvious!), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Charmed.


3. Pretty Little Liars: Chances are you'll have seen this one already, but it's just so good! Not to mention that re-watching the series will shed a whole new light on the storyline and you'll start to see all of the 'A' clues that you weren't able to put together the first time round. And honestly, all that drama and mystery makes for an incredibly seductive and addictive night in!

Watch this if you like... Gossip Girl, The Lying Game.


4. Shadow Hunters: The TV Series based off of the book series of the same name, and so much better than the film adaption (sorry Lily Collins, you're amazing but that film was awful)! Once again, the sci-fi nerd inside of me has made an appearance. This show is another classic teen sci-fi/drama filled with lots of action, secrets, and a romance or two that'll have you shouting at the TV (or computer screen) for the characters to get together already! I'm keenly awaiting the next season!

Watch this if you like... Doctor Who, The Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, or the Shadow Hunters book series of course!


5. Orphan Black: A series about clones, science and genetics with a whole lot of danger and action - this show is seriously addictive and unique in comparison to many of the current shows on offer! Just when you think one problem is solved, another presents itself and the cycle of drama spins around and around again! Not to mention, there are some seriously attractive males gracing the screen of this show! Check it out - seriously!

Watch this if you like... Limitless, Law & Order, CSI, The Tomorrow People.


I'd also like to give a special mention to London Spy, Jessica Jones, Shameless and Skins. All great shows that are definitely worth checking out!

Anyway, I hope this post has been helpful and you've been able to discover something new to binge watch while you curl up in bed these winter holidays!

Have you seen any of these shows already, and if so, do you love them? Also, leave me a comment letting me know any of your recommendations because at this rate, I'll have a good 3 to 4 weeks of holidays left once I've finished binge watching all of these!

x Chontelle

3 comments

  1. I've been loving House of Cards lately.

    xoxo,
    http://petitemaisonoffashion.blogspot.com/ ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I've been meaning to watch that one for a while now but I'm always forgetting it! I just had a look and it's on Netflix, I'm gonna start watching it! Thanks for the reminder, and thanks for reading! xx

      Delete
  2. Great list. I have created an infographic for you to have a handy guide on the October 2016 releases of Netflix this month. Get ready to hop into your bed and enjoy watching multiple episodes of these Netflix Shows to Binge-Watch This October 2016

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Latest Instagrams

© Chontelle Louise. Design by FCD.