5 THINGS THAT HELP ME DEAL WITH ANXIETY & OCD

6 February 2023

 


I've been dealing with severe anxiety and OCD for so long, I can't even remember life without it. I was officially diagnosed with anxiety as a teen, and OCD maybe 5 or so years ago, and it's been an uphill battle to find ways to cope with these issues on a day-to-day basis. I've seen therapists, been on medication, tried relaxation and meditation - all the things. My anxiety at one point was so bad that I rarely left the house alone, and couldn't order at cafes/restaurants or make a purchase myself because of my anxiety over interacting with someone. It was bad. I would also constantly struggle with worst-case scenario thoughts, and having to check things multiple times (even going back home to do so) just in case I'd forgotten something important, which is something I've only overcome in the past year.


It's taken a lot of hard work and perseverence to take control of my anxiety and OCD (instead of the reverse), and I definitely still have my bad days - but finding ways to deal with it all has helped me immensely. I'm a lot more confident and outgoing (which is literally my natural state, without the anxiety), I speak up for myself and for others, I'm independent, and I'm thriving!


If you also suffer from anxiety and/or OCD, or any of the things I mentioned above resonate with you, then hopefully by sharing some of my coping methods with you below, you'll find something useful in your own life!



1. Taking photos for reference.

This trick isn't exactly a cure, but it sure does help relieve worry and reduce the amount of OCD checking I would otherwise do. If I'm going out for the day (or any extended time) I'll take photos of things like plugs/wall sockets, the closed door, the oven being off, and water in the cat bowl. It seems a bit crazy, but it means I don't spend forever going around the house to make sure I've done these things, having to turn around and go home, or stressing about 'not knowing' all day until I get home - because I can simply check the photos and put my mind at ease. 


2. Take a deep breath.

Welcome to 'anxiety coping methods 101' - but really, taking a deep breath, and then another, and then another, and focusing on my breathing instead of my anxiety or increased heart rate until I'm even a little more relaxed works wonders, and is an essential first step when you're about to (or already) spiralling.


3. Talk to someone.

Whether it's a friend, family member, partner, or even your therapist - sometimes you just need to talk to someone you trust and who will support you. I'm lucky to have my mum and some close friends who I know I can turn to if I'm having a hard time and just need to talk it out instead of letting it build up in my own head, or even just a light-hearted conversation that gets my mind off of things.


4. Listening to music.

It sounds really simple, but it works. I put on a playlist that either gets me in a good mood or relaxes me, and I focus on the music, the words, and taking my mind off the constant racing thoughts and overwhelming emotions I'm dealing with. It's not a cure, but it sure is the perfect distraction.


5. Reminding myself that I'm okay, and can only do my best.

When I begin to spiral with anxiety or catastrophic thinking, it can be hard to pull myself out of my own head and just calm down. One of the first things I try to do when this happens is to tell myself that I'm okay, this is my anxiety and not my reality. I remind myself that I can only do my best. I've done what I can in whatever the situation is - from stressing that I've offended someone to panicking that I've left an appliance on - and that's all I need to do. I can't control everything that happens, and I don't have to. Things will be fine!


Anxiety and OCD can be crippling, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and while it may not be easy, it's definitely possible to make it through!


xx Chontelle Louise

1 comment

  1. I too struggle with anxiety and OCD - and I love how logical and practical your coping methods are! Although I am a recluse in real life, I do listen to and talk to fashionistas through comments on their blogs and listening to advice the give me in comments on my own fashion blog.
    Your advice to take a deep breath and to listen to music sound excellent, and I will try to do it more often, especially when I am logged in to my own YouTube channel. Above all, I love your advice 'Don't Panic'!
    Best wishes for your summer, for your autumn, and for all of the years to come! <3 xx

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Latest Instagrams

© Chontelle Louise. Design by FCD.